OTHER PHILL BLOGS

March 8, 2008

CAROLINA IN MY MIND

Late Friday evening, into the early hours of Saturday morning, I watched “Great Performances” on a local PBS affiliate. The performer was James Taylor. Like many of his admirers, I have enjoyed his music for almost 40 years. He closed his concert with one of my favorites, “Carolina In My Mind.”

A fellow named Tom put together the music video below, featuring some of his favorite scenes of the state. Click the arrow in the lower left corner.

It is a 90 minute drive from our home to cross the state line into North Carolina. Upon entering the Old North State I blow my car horn and breathe a sigh of relief to be back home.

At other times I just have to be content “going to Carolina in my mind.” I have lived in Georgia for 20 years but I will always be a Tar Heel. I quickly add that I am from the Tar Heel state but NOT a UNC fan.

Today is a big day for basketball fans in North Carolina. At noon my Wake Forest Demon Deacons take on the NC State Wolf Pack. Then at 9 p.m. comes the greatest rivalry in college sports, in my opinion, when the Duke Blue Devils play the UNC Tar Heels.

Unfortunately, there is a sorrowful, stunned sadness on the UNC campus this week. The murder of Eve Carson, the beautiful and bright student body president, is not only a shock, but a tragic loss to her family, friends, campus, and the world that she was on mission to touch. May God give grace and comfort to her loved ones.

No comments: