OTHER PHILL BLOGS

February 22, 2008

LUNAR ECLIPSE

Late this afternoon I took a soggy walk down the beach in the rain. As I write these words at night it has been storming with heavy rain and occasional lightning. I am so glad the rain delayed until the day after the total lunar eclipse.

In past times for such events for me either it was rainy or cloudy or somehow I missed it. Wednesday night the weather was great.

Promptly at 6:09 p.m. the moon appeared on the horizon as the sun was setting. The pink sky reflecting in the water slowly gave way to the shimmering moon beams that shot across the surf and up to the sandy beach. Some dolphins swam north just past the breakers.

Shortly before 9 p.m. the earth’s shadow began covering the moon. After 10 p.m. I saw the moon as never before. The orange globe glowed with a much stronger three dimensional look. I felt like a traveler in deep space to see such a majestic sight.

I hope the sky is clear on December 21, 2010 for the next total lunar eclipse! Below are photos I shot with my little camera from our balcony.

No comments: