OTHER PHILL BLOGS

November 16, 2007

DEACONS DUMPED

Ever seen those guys in the inner city standing on the street corner with a sign saying, “Will Work for Food”?

Several months ago I had the joy to be the guest minister for the first Sunday worship service at The Reserve in South Carolina (see blog for September 3, 2007).

I told them then, “Will Preach for Football Tickets”. That is, I would be glad to lead the worship service again if they would invite me back to the Wake Forest – Clemson football game.

Last Saturday Cissy and I anticipated an exciting afternoon when the day finally arrived for the football game. Indeed it was a great time to be at Clemson with our hosts, Don & Jane Kelley. Don still holds some Clemson and ACC football records.

The weather was warm and sunny. The tail-gating was filled with delicious food, and meeting their friends was nice. But once the game started things looked pretty challenging for my WF Demon Deacons.

It is rough to be surrounded by 80,000+ orange-clad, screaming and avid (if not rabid) fans. Alas, the Clemson Tigers whipped the Deacons with a 44-10 win.

I had to eat a lot of crow. I tired to serve up more appetizing spiritual food at the worship service on Sunday morning.

I wish the best for the Clemson Tigers at their next game as they host Boston College in a very important game for Atlantic Coast Conference divisional honors. Video shows how the Clemson team enters the stadium.


No comments: