OTHER PHILL BLOGS

May 25, 2008

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND WORSHIP

Arlington Cemetery

This Sunday on Memorial Day weekend I had the opportunity to lead the chapel worship service at The Reserve at Lake Keowee. To begin I talked about some descriptions of friendship by various people.

Charles Caleb Colton: “True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost.”

Albert Camus: “Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend.”

Eleanor Roosevelt: “Many people will walk in and out of your life. But only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.”

Winnie the Pooh: “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.”

Other quotes I can not find the source to attribute:

“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”

“Friends are God’s way of taking care of us.”

“Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don’t say.”

To me the most powerful statement about friendship came from Jesus Christ. He said, “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down his life for his friends.”

The Apostle Paul commented on the greatness of God’s love. “For scarcely a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”

In America we enjoy freedom. But it did not come freely; it was purchased and has been protected at great price. Below are numbers of American fatalities in major conflicts.

4,081 - Iraq
58,169 - Viet Nam
36,914 - Korea
407,316 - World War II
116,708 - World War I
4,196 - Phillipine War
2,446 - Spanish-American War
623,026 - Civil War
25,000 - Revolutionary War

Each number represents a name, a person. On Memorial Day we remember those who gave their lives to help make America strong and free. My humble response is THANK YOU!!!

Below are some photos of Cissy and me from our trip today that give a glimpse of the beautiful setting for worship in the building at the bottom of the Great Lawn by the lake.



No comments: