OTHER PHILL BLOGS

February 8, 2008

MODERN ANTIQUE

Yesterday I had lunch with my oldest son, Bill, to commemorate his birthday. Besides giving him a present, I told him part of his “inheritance” has been repaired and now works good as new.

Bill knew immediately that I was referring to a special gold pocket watch. Since my grandfather and father had Charles in their name, it seems appropriate that my son William Charles will inherit the watch. Actually, to tell the truth, I told my parents at Bill's birth that one of the reasons he got his middle name was to give him a claim for the watch. The inscription inside the watch case shows that on November 29, 1908, my grandfather, C.W. Ellington, was given the watch by the Sunday School of Second Baptist Church in Petersburg, Virginia. That church began on December 13, 1854, with eleven members in the living room of my grandfather’s grandmother, Mrs. Mary Ellington. Below is her photo and the house which is still standing.


My grandfather moved to Hickory, North Carolina, to be with his pastor from Petersburg, who had become pastor of the First Baptist Church.


C.W. Ellington opened a bakery in Hickory and continued teaching Sunday School for many years. The pictures below show the growth of his class from 1922 to 1923.



Could that be "the watch" on his coat lapel?

(click on photos to see full size)

In the lower photo my father is sitting on my grandfather's lap.
Inside the hunter's case of the watch is a photo taken in the early 1920s of my father with his mother and sister. I can imagine my grandfather opening the watch up daily for many years, each time looking at the photo of his family.



After we talked about the 100 year old antique watch, Bill opened his birthday card. On the card I wrote him a note to remind him that he is at the one-third century old mark. So, in a sense, he is a “modern antique.”

Bill earns his living as an artisan, specializing in decorative painting. Hopefully he is creating work that will be around for a long time. You can see his work by clicking on
www.BellingtonDesigns.com

1 comment:

August Thurmer said...

Phill, thanks for writing this, it meant so much to me when reading it. My father had his father's pocket watch, which was given to me in turn. It was this pocket watch that helped my grandfather to meet my grandmother at a barn dance. A group was sitting together during a lull in the dance and conversation. My grandmother Anna asked what that ticking sound was. It was my grandpa August's watch. From that point on, everything became history. August Thurmer