OTHER PHILL BLOGS

February 25, 2008

LARRY NORMAN

Today I read that Larry Norman, 60, passed away on Sunday after a lengthy illness. Larry introduced a whole new style of music in the late 1960’s. He made a recording of rock/pop music with lyrics that clearly shared his Christian faith. Such a thing had never been done before. He opened a door for Christian musicians.

The first song of his I heard was in 1970. The song was “I Wish We’d All Been Ready” from the album “Upon This Rock.” I listened to the song countless times and sometimes played the recording during presentations to students.



Norman told a reporter: “My songs weren't written for Christians. No, it was not a Christian album for those believers who wanted everything spelled out. It was more like a street fight. I was saying [to Christians], ‘I'm going to present the gospel, and I'm not going to say it like you want. This album is not for you.’”

If you were born in the last 40 years you do not realize how radical Larry Norman’s words and music were. His music communicated to the culture.



I like the way Larry described his music. He said: "I wanted to push aside the traditional gospel quartet music, break down the church doors and let the hippies and the prostitutes and other unwashed rabble into the sanctuary.”

“I wanted to talk about feeding the poor, going into the world.... I wanted the church to get active and go out and do what Jesus told us to do. I felt that while the hymns had great theology soaked into their lyrics, that most of the modern music was anemic and needed a transfusion."

Some of his music like “The Great American Novel” sounded like Bob Dylan with a gospel accent.




“Goodbye Farewell” is somber and serious and relevant to the news of his death. The video includes photos of some of his famous musical friends, with the ending showing Larry himself.




Today I read on his website an article he wrote last December. He addresses the problem of sin and how to have victory. His words speak hope and help to me.
http://www.larrynorman.com/see.html

No comments: