OTHER PHILL BLOGS

January 25, 2008

SOLO = SOUL LOW

At this time of year I, like many other people, have a tendency to feel “down” or “blue” or just simply “depressed.” After the colorful leaves of fall season faded, I looked forward to Christmas with its bright lights and festivities. But the hope of peace with God and good will toward family and friends can fall short with disappointments and unmet expectations.

So then I looked forward to a New Year. Some years I make New Year resolutions because I want to change some bad habits or add new habits. Soon I realized the New Year is filled with ... new fears... new bears ... new cares ... new dares ... even new jeers.

Now in the middle of January the “winter blues” can settle in. Mental health professionals call it Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), a reaction to lack of sunlight in winter.

Many other factors can come into play at any time of year to make me, or anyone, feel “down”: family troubles, financial woes, work challenges, and health issues, to name a few.

The meaning of the SOLO title above is that, when I try to face life alone, I inevitably fail with the result that my thoughts and feelings can fall quite low.

To follow down that road can be dangerous. The route goes like this: Displeasure - Defeat – Discouragement - Disappointment - Depression - Despair – Death!

I have heard of two very tragic suicides already this year. Depression can be a barren valley in which to settle. Most of us will not sink even deeper to despair and death but many get stuck in "feeling down."

As I have thought about and experienced “feeling down”, I prescribe this remedy for myself and anyone:

REMEDY FOR DEPRESSION

1. TRUST GOD
Meditate on God and His Word. Be honest with God. Express thoughts and emotions. The psalmist wrote, "Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence."


2. THINK RIGHTLY
The danger of thinking by myself about myself is the possibility of twisted thinking. The Apostle Paul gave great direction with these words,
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

3. TALK TO OTHERS
Depression feels terribly isolating. If I can not or will not see a professional counselor, then I will talk to a friend or family member or find a support group.


4. TAKE ACTION
List all things I know I have neglected and do them ... no matter how I feel. Know in time my feelings will change. God will give me a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment as a result, but I must never wait till I feel like it before acting.


Two frogs fell into a deep cream bowl,
One was an optimistic soul;
But the other took the gloomy view,

"I shall drown," he cried, "and so will you."
So with a last despairing cry,
He closed his eyes and said, "Goodbye."
But the other frog, with a merry grin,
Said, "I can't get out, but I won't give in!
I'll swim around till my strength is spent.
For having tried, I'll die content."
Bravely he swam until it would seem
His struggles began to churn the cream.
On the top of the butter at last he stopped

And out of the bowl he happily hopped.

5. TOUCH THE LIVES OF OTHERS
Just the simple act of appropriate physical touch can be important. It has been said that touch is the only sense human beings can not live without.

6. REST
Take a break! Get some rest! (This one does not apply to me … I am far too rested! People ask me if I am retired. I respond I need to be “re-tried.”

7. EXERCISE
A tremendous amount of research shows that exercise — particularly strenuous aerobic exercise - elevates mood, relieves anxiety, improves appetite, sleep, sexual interest and functioning, and self-esteem.

No comments: