OTHER PHILL BLOGS

January 19, 2008

OLIVIA DAY

Friday was “Olivia Day” for me to spend some quality “one-to-one” time with my seven year old granddaughter. I frequently spend a whole day with her five year old brother Ethan, who does not have play school every day. Usually, almost three year old Merrily plays with us for a little bit. Since Olivia had to miss the last two weeks of school due to treatment for a parasite, she was available. First we went to the mall. The first stop was the “American Girl Boutique and Bistro” featuring all the dolls of that brand. The hair salon section for the dolls was over the top! Plus, the Bistro with no food prices listed scared me. Next was a ride on the carousel. As Olivia rode her wooden horse, my mind flashed back to a memory in another mall in another country twenty five years ago. Clear as day, I could see Olivia’s father, my son Seth, smilingly perched in a little airplane ride in the Iguatemi Shopping Center in Porto Alegre, Brasil. I cannot describe to you the uncanny (and emotional) feeling I had seeing an amusement ride in a mall repeated in the second generation.

Of course, I had faith that my son would grow up and have children. Yet I never had a vision of what it would be like. I think this experience is giving me a little more understanding of the difference between faith and vision.

Lunch in the food court followed the carousel. Then came a visit to the Disney Store. Next was a new store for me. Shoppers could choose from a wide variety of toy animals to purchase and stuff, and then buy clothes and accessories. Finally, a buyer sits down at a computer to design a birth certificate for the new "pet"!

On the way to our home we detoured along a gravel road and stopped by a series of small waterfalls. Olivia showed her prowess to climb over boulders, thread around thorny bushes, and throw rocks in the creek. Once we arrived at our house we walked the paths in the woods along the creek and followed some deer tracks and mole tunnels in the ground. Then we stopped by the fence of two neighboring horses. Olivia had a good time petting the horses’ heads and hugging their necks.

After getting some orange juice and bananas, we settled into easy chairs to watch a “Planet Earth” DVD about caves.

Before I knew it, the day had flown by and ’twas time for Olivia to return to her home. Such precious time and new memories could not be bought for any sum of money!

No comments: