OTHER PHILL BLOGS

October 1, 2007

LAKE JUNALUSKA

I spent last week at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center in the western North Carolina mountains for a quiet time of personal renewal. There were no conference programs, so there were few people on the grounds, except for local residents and staff. http://www.lakejunaluska.com/

I brought with me a half dozen or more books to read. I found benches and chairs at various gazebos and porches around the lake. The weather was warm and sunny.

Each day I either walked or ran around the lake. I was enchanted by the many lovely homes, many of them 60 years or older. Even an old train depot and fire station have been converted to residences. I believe the way the grounds and private homes are maintained reveal much about the inhabitant’s understanding of the God of creation and beauty.

On my return trip I drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway for several hours. There are slight hints that fall leaf color will be coming in a few weeks. What a pleasure to be back in my home state of North Carolina!

No comments: