OTHER PHILL BLOGS

November 21, 2006

LEANING ON EVERLASTING ARMS

A little over a week ago my grandson Ethan, who will soon turn four years old, spent the afternoon with me. We ate peanut butter sandwiches for lunch, watched a Star Wars movie, and went down by the creek and found dead bamboo sticks to have a sword fight.

Then we got out a little wagon for him to ride down the hill in our side yard. I would give Ethan a push and he would go speeding down the hill. The first few rides were lots of fun, even though several times he came close to a tree at the bottom of the hill. I should have found another place to ride.

On the last ride Ethan smashed into the tree and fell off the wagon. I rushed down the hill to hold him while he cried loudly. He was really hurting!

A doctor’s visit the next day confirmed a broken foot. For a month he will have a cast on his foot. Ethan was hurt and I felt terrible about my mistake.

Last Thursday I visited him at this house. As I walked in the door he was coming down the staircase. He smiled real big … shouted “Pappy” … and jumped off the steps for me to catch him in my arms. He still loved me and trusted me!

I am thankful that I have a Father God who will hold me, and Ethan, and all His children. He never drops anyone who trusts Him to save them. The Bible says, “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.” (Deuteronomy 33:27)

I am reminded of the great old hymn,

“LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS”

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain:

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

No comments: