OTHER PHILL BLOGS

March 13, 2008

LINING UP LIGHTS

Decisions --- decisions --- decisions! All day long I make choices … what to wear … what to eat … where to go … who to spend time with ... when to say “yes” or “no”?

Then there are the “Big M” decisions made along life’s pathway … who will be my MASTER … who will be my MATE… what will be my MISSION? How do I follow my dreams?

Does God have anything to do with my decisions, whether they seem big or simple everyday choices? Is life more than just racing along without clear direction and purpose?

Webfetti.com

In Sunday School last week the theme was lining up our dreams with the will of God. The text was from the bible book of Chronicles when King David wanted to build a house for God. At first the prohet Nathan, his confidant and adviser, encouraged David, “Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you."

Later that night when the prophet was alone, God told him to tell David not to build a house for God. Yet Nathan could bolster David’s spirit by reminding him that God had taken him from leading sheep to leading Israel to military victories and domestic prosperity as king.
Webfetti.com
Webfetti.com

It was if God was saying, “Do not be disappointed. You know that I love you and want the best for you. I have led you in the past with great reward and I still have great things for you.”

Moreover, instead of David building a house for God, God said He had plans to build a house for David. That is, from the lineage of David a throne would be established forever. David responded with gratitude that God honored him, not by granting his immediate desire, but promising His loving kindness for all eternity.

But how about ME right now, today? How am I to make decisions that are wise and right and even please God?

The simple approach I have sought to follow for many years comes from a story of F.B. Myer, the British Baptist preacher and writer of the early twentieth century. He relates that when he was crossing the Irish Channel one starless night, he stood on the deck by the captain and asked him, "How do you know Holyhead Harbor on so dark a night as this?”

"'You see those three lights?” the captain asked. “All of them must line up together as one, and when we see them so united, we know the exact position of the harbor's mouth.”







[HENRY G. GASTINEAU (1791-1876) was a topographer and landscape artist who drew this scene of Holyhead Harbor.]



I apply that principle by seeking to have my thoughts and dreams and desires line up with the will of God to enter the safety and security of His harbor. When I want to know God's will, there are three lights which must line up: the light from above, the light without, and the light from within.

The light from above is God is shining on my way. God sheds light through the Bible and prayer.

In Psalms I read, “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” The psalmist wrote, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Also, “Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it.”

The writer of Proverbs adds, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” Also, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”

The writer of Hebrews states, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”

From all these scriptures I realize God is ready and willing and able to help me … if I ask! Furthermore, I realize God wants me to know Him and experience the wonder and awe of His presence in all that goes on in life.

Thus, God’s will is not really so much to be found in a location or a vocation, but in a relation. As I read the revelation He has made through scripture, I get to know God better, how God thinks and plans and acts.

The Epistle of James counsels, “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” He adds, “the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."

Further, as I converse with God through prayer, I listen to God and He listens to me. As I know God and trust Him, I can pray as Jesus, “Yet not My will, but Yours be done.”

The light from without is advice and counsel from people who know God and know me.

Again the writer of Proverbs sheds light. “Listen to counsel and accept discipline that you may be wise the rest of your days …. Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed.”

All too often I am a person who acts first and then thinks about the results of my decision. (I am a terrible chess player!) I have learned the hard way that I must also seek to analyze the consequences of my decisions for the long run.
Webfetti.com
Just before his death Moses counseled the people, "Remember the days of old, consider the years of all generations. Ask your father, and he will inform you, your elders, and they will tell you.”

Moses chastised the people, “For they are a nation lacking in counsel, and there is no understanding in them. Would that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would discern their future!”

The light from within is the Spirit of God bearing witness with my spirit.

Paul wrote to Timothy, “For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

God has given me a mind to sift through the pros and cons of a decision. I find it helpful to write down each of my options with two columns (pro and con) to see more clearly in black and white what could be the best choice. Also, I can evaluate my gifts, talents, training, abilities, interests, experience, and strengths.

If I had to choose one word that gives me a sense of confidence that I rightly understand the will of God, after seeing the “three lights” line up, it would be “peace.”

Isaiah prophesied that the Christ would be called “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.” The Apostle Paul exhorted, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.”

When I have spent time with Christ … meditating and praying with the Bible, listening to what Christ says through others, and how he speaks peace to my heart, I can know it is time to act.

It has been said that it is much easier to steer a moving vehicle. I believe the implication is that God can more clearly direct my path if I am moving along the path.
Webfetti.com
Here are some words I gleaned from somewhere. I do not remember the author.

“Set your expectations correctly. God doesn’t promise to tell us everything. Knowing the will of God in our lives is a process. We walk by faith. God asked Abraham to leave his country and did not tell him where he would be going. God expects us to get up and move before we have all the details and contingency plans nailed down.”

True, many times the scriptures speak about “waiting on the Lord.” But once the “map” (Bible) has been carefully studied with the destination in mind, the gas tank filled with fuel (Holy Spirit), detours and difficulties noted (yes, there is trouble and problems ahead even with peace in the heart), I am ready to continue the journey.
Webfetti.com
On the week before Easter, two hundred fifty one years ago, Joseph Hart came under conviction as he heard of Christ’s agony in the Garden of Gethsemane. Then on Pentecost Sunday, under the ministry of George Whitefield, he became a Christian. Hart became a preacher of note in London. He penned the words below for a hymn.

“How Good Is the God We Adore”









How good is the God we adore,
Our faithful unchangeable Friend:
Whose love is as great as His power,
And knows neither measure nor end.

'Tis Jesus, the First and the Last,
Whose Spirit shall guide us safe home;
We'll praise Him for all that is past,
And trust Him for all that's to come.



No comments: