OTHER PHILL BLOGS

October 13, 2007

TORTOISE OR HARE?


I have enjoyed running for many years. But the thought of running around a track never interested me. My best friend in college was a cross country runner. One day he talked me into running with him to Reynolda Gardens at Wake Forest.

After a jaunt through formal gardens, open fields, and woods, I decided I might like this form of exercise in the open air with a constantly changing environment. I have been hooked on running ever since.

I have found running is exercise I can do anywhere and anytime without the assistance of anyone. I have run in the parks around the Louvre in Paris, jogged through neighborhoods in Berlin, thrilled with the vista of a double rainbow on a morning run in Rio de Janeiro, and loped down streets in Madras down to the beach on the Bay of Bengal to meet volleyball players at 5 a.m.

Yet for the last year or so running became too painful or uncomfortable. In the past 15 mile runs produced endorphin highs. Now a 1.5 mile light jog hurt nerves and joints. I try walking and bicycling and rollerblading as options. But the runner is me will not die.

One afternoon this summer I decided to take a little run while in Tok, Alaska. Though I ran only 20 minutes or so, it was a new start. After a long respite running seems like a possibility again.

While at the beach this week I ran a few mornings. The first day I set out to make it to the pier in the distance. I got about half-way before my knees said it was time to turn around (thankfully, they only had to whisper and not shout to get my attention).

I was disappointed. Then I remembered the simple biblical principle that is basic to any goal-setting. "I will drive them out before you little by little, until you become fruitful and take possession of the land” (Exodus 23:30).

Ah, “little by little” I would make it to the pier. The second run I got a little further. By the third attempt I made it to the pier, denying a few aches the ability to rob me of my pursuit.

Distance running has taught me endurance in life. I am not a sprinter by nature. I am running for the long haul. I may get passed by many who are swifter, but I will finish.

The writer of Ecclesiastes put it another way. “I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all” (Ecclesiastes 9:11).

In-between runs on the beach I noticed some gopher tortoises. They may not look the best nor be the fastest, but as the fabled hare found out, “slow but steady pace wins the race!” In my video notice one of the tortoises still just sat and watched. Hmmmm … must be another good principle illustrated there.

No comments: